The Governor of Abia state, Dr. Okezie Victor Ikpeazu has paidp an unscheduled visit to Abayi Secondary & Primary School and Osusu Amaukwa Secondary and Primary School.
During the visit he made the following promises:
* Promises to build 13 new model schools in addition to the existing 4.
* Directs ASUBEB to construct 300 new classroom blocks in addition to the 359 done in his first term.
* Vows to continue the school feeding program and explore possibility of extending it to junior secondary schools in the state.
* Directs private school proprietors to ensure that school buildings are constructed with sporting facilities and mirror existing public model schools in the state.
* Directs the State’s Ministry of Education to collaborate with Ministries of Science, Land/Planning to ensure that all school buildings in the state have strong foundations and are safe for school children.
* Directs security agencies to ensure the protection of all public schools in order to avoid miscreants using the facilities as hideouts and places for their nefarious activities.
* Assures on continuous training and improved welfare for teachers within the public school system.
* Sets to launch compulsory IT based learning system in all primary and secondary schools in the state.
* Expresses desire to ensure that Abia continues to lead in Nigeria, especially in STEM education.