The crisis rocking the People’s Democratic Party in Abia state has reached a dangerous proportion yesterday with the insistence to conduct the party’s primaries with a strange 3-Man delegate list.
Recall that AbiaPulseNews reported that all the Governorship Aspirants in the state had o May 18th 2022, issued a press Statement stating that the 3-man ad-hoc delegate election is yet to hold in Abia, a statement which was backed by the independent national Electoral commission.
It is therefore to the chagrin of aspirants in Abia that in the early hours of Sunday the 22nd of May 2022, while most of the aspirants were expecting the Primaries to be shifted as was done in states with similar issues like Imo and Anambra, a strange 3-Man delegate list was released by the National Working Committee Purported to have been written and sponsored by the Governor of Abia state Dr. Okezie Victor Ikpeazu.
Alarmed by this ugly development, aspirants who are not comfortable with this undemocratic move began to withdraw from the primaries.
Whereas the Primary election held in some constituencies, nothing happened in some of the constituencies and these aspirants are still awed by this treatment by the People’s Democratic Party.
Notable among the avalanche of aspirants who withdrew include:
- Hon. Solomon Adaelu, the member representing Ugwunagbo/Osisioma/Obingwa Federal Constituency
- Hon. Nkem Abonta, member representing Ukwa East/West Federal Constituency
- Barr. Chijioke Chuku, Head legal services of the Nigerian Governors Forum and Aspirant to Bende Federal Constituency
- Chief Fred Eke Idika, aspirant to Arochuk/Ohafia Federal Constituency Seat.
- Hon. Ibe Nwoke, Executive Chairman Obingwa Local Government Area and aspirant to Ugwunagbo/Osisioma/Obingwa Federal Constituency Seat.
- Hon. Darlington Nwokocha, member representing Isiala Ngwa North/South Federal Constituency and Aspirant to same position.
- Hon. Ginger Onwusibe, member representing Isiala Ngwa North state Constituency and Aspirant to same position.
- Chief Ebere Nwankwo, aspirant to Umunneochi State Constituency Seat
- Dr. Chukwuemeka Onyenucheya, aspirant to Ikwuano Umuahia state constituency seat
- Hon. Hanson Amaechi, former Obingwa LGA chairman and aspirant to Obingwa West House assembly seat.
- Hon. Enyinnaya Apollos, former CPS to the Governor and aspirant to Obingwa West House of Assembly seat.
- Ubani Dannie, former Commissioner for youth development and aspirant to Isiala Ngwa South State Constituency Seat.
Hon. Okechukwu Iboko, Bende North State Constituency aspirant.
Comrade Cokey Nwachukwu, Ikwuano state constituency aspirant.
Among other aspirants who withdrew and are yet to issue a statement.
As at the time of filing this report, rumours are rife that most of the senatorial aspirants are already on the verge of withdrawing from the race if the President does not sign the amended Electoral Act to allow the statutory delegates to vote.
Same 22nd May 2022, the leadership of the All Progressives Grand Alliance besieged the home of the Senator Representing Abia South Senatorial District, Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe urging him to abandon the PDP and join them to rescue the state, a proposal the senator pleaded to be given some time to ruminate over.